Does a universal remote work with the Roku?

Discussion in 'Roku' started by Thomas G, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Thomas G

Thomas G Contributor

I own a Logitech Harmony One universal remote. Is there any way to program this badboy to work with the Roku?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Roku remote but I'd be just tickled to consolidate another remote out of my home theater.

Just a side note about Roku too, how can they not offer a keyboard to sell as an accessory or something? Seems like it would be a good idea.
  2. Roku Guru

Roku Guru Moderator

2 Questions. 2 replies.

I don't know about the Harmony, you should ask them. They have added devices in the past on request. If you have a learning remote, you can just learn off your existing Roku remote. If you have the Roku XS w/ Bluetooth remote, however, you're SOL. The only way to learn is to buy or borrow an infrared Roku remote and learn from that. I had an LT that I sold, but before I did I used it to program my universal remote. I just can't use it to play games.

I don't know of any brand of universal remote that has a program code for Roku.
  3. Thomas G

Thomas G Contributor

Oops, did I ask this here already?

OK thanks for the info. I have the Roku XD so I think I might be able to do it.
  4. avaloncourt

avaloncourt Moderator

I just saw this question and registered so I could provide an answer.

I got a Roku 2 XS on Friday and I also happen to have a Harmony One remote. The answer is, yes, you can indeed use the Harmony with the XS (and others). I sought out how to ID the Roku with the Harmony and Logitech/Harmony's website says to identify the device as a DVD player in setup and then put in Roku XS (or whatever your own model is). Their database does indeed have a Roku identified for use. I put in Roku XS and the software changed it to Roku 2 XS.

Even though the XS has a Bluetooth remote, to my surprise, the box itself apparently still has in IR receiver. The remote does indeed work via IR and controls the box. Just like the actual Roku remote, it has pretty basic controls. There is nothing programmed in the touch screen area. (It's all black.) Exit is return. The pause/play toggles and FF/Rewind buttons work. The OK and directional arrows work.

Of course you won't get any of the accelerometer functions for games but as a regular remote the Harmony One works just fine.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Not sure if you ever got a response to this, but I have a Logitech Harmony One and it definitely works great with my ROKU. I think I had to set it up as a DVD player or something. That remote is awesome however expensive - it even runs my laptop (Win Media Player) which I have hooked into my home entertainment setup.

On a separate note, I wish ROKU (or an independent developer) would create a consolidated search for movies/shows/etc instead of having to search independently through Amazon/Netflix/etc., this would be really useful.