Live TV on Roku

Discussion in 'Roku' started by Unregistered, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I want to know if the Roku box has any live channels or if they're going to be updating the box soon to offer live programming? I'm really considering getting rid of Comcast cable and would like if I could watch some live baseball and live news coverage.
  2. catastrophegirl

catastrophegirl Contributor

there are some livestreaming channels on roku, mostly international news. if you are looking for your local live broadcast stations, there are a couple of companies out there experimenting with fee based membership services to digitally deliver local channels in limited areas, like skitter tv and aero. roku itself is not capable of picking up live local broadcast programming and isn't going to be capable of that.
  3. Roku Guru

Roku Guru Moderator

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. catastrophegirl

there is also a channel on roku that's live broadcast channels that are from pennsylvania: USTVNOW. i use it sometimes. the quality isn't great and it has to be set up with a proxy server to make it think you are outside the US. so it's a little sketchy. but i haven't had any problems with it. not everyone is comfortable using it though
  5. Thomas G

Thomas G Contributor

Wonder what the resolution is on some of these live streaming channels.
  6. Roku Guru

Roku Guru Moderator

Copied from a post over at DTV USA Forum - DTV News -

7. catastrophegirl

honestly? not good. heck, some of the livestreaming channels on justinTV are people pointing a webcam at their TV screen.
    the livestreaming news channels that are streaming their primary content from their official website, like CNN International or BBC news are definitely better quality than channels like mummybox. but i haven't seen any livestreaming channels on roku that match digital OTA quality
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Stealing

Its called stealing! I bet you would climb the pole if you could to get that free cable as well. I wonder what people really would think if you told them "Yeah I am a thief!"
  9. Roku Guru

Roku Guru Moderator

To what, exactly, are you referring? I would not steal cable, I do not even want cable!

Some things are perfectly legal. Others are not. In between, there are varying shades of grey.
    Sony and others once considered recording on videotape to be illegal, until the courts smacked them down.
    Pick your own shade of grey.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

Error when trying to add ustvnow to miniprox.com

No matter what I did it will NOT allow me to add the site to miniprox,The requested URL was not recognised as a valid URL. Attempted to load: ustvnow.com and I typed in ustvnow.com as directed above)?