Roku vs cable tv

Discussion in 'Roku' started by Unregistered, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can the Roku set top box really substitute having cable TV? I watch a lot of "on demand" stuff with Comcast but it has been getting really expensive lately. Also, how easy is it to install the Roku?
  2. DaGreatest

DaGreatest ITVF Member

My cable tv providers 'movies on demand' has a long way to go to match the slick way the Roku works between all of the channels available and Netflix. I've basically replaced my cable service with it. I was so skeptical when I first ordered, but since I have high speed internet that is a must for my lifestyle, getting a Roku was a smart choice to avoid a cable bill. So much cheaper than cable.

The Roku was a snap to set up.
  3. InternationallyKnown

InternationallyKnown ITVF Member

The 2 are almost incomparable unless you're willing to make some compromises. I love the Food Network and A&E Network, so giving up cable would be a huge loss for me.

To the original poster: Are there any cable channels that you absolutely must have or watch on a regular basis? A lot of shows sell on DVD by season now, so if you can wait, it probably would save you money and buy those shows used and just use your Roku box for your main TV entertainment.
  4. dkreichen1968

dkreichen1968 Moderator

What I've found is that using your computer as a PlayOn server greatly enhances the Roku's ability to be a cable replacement. By buying the lifetime license for Playon and running it on your computer, and adding the Playon channel to your Roku you can add a lot of streaming options. Playon is basically a web browser that connects to network websites, including, regular Hulu, A&E, Comedy Central, and Youtube. It even lets you stream media from your computer's hard drive.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

So with Playon, i can use my wii and not but a roku?
  6. avaloncourt

avaloncourt Moderator

This is right on the money and exactly what I did right after getting the Roku. There are so many scripts you can install for PlayOn that it makes the experience much more comfortable and similar to what you've been used to.
  7. dkreichen1968

dkreichen1968 Moderator

It wouldn't be a one to one comparison. Playon doesn't currently support HD (though it probably will in the future). The reason for that is that Playon must transcode video on the fly, and therefore would need a lot of computing power (fast quad-core processor) to do HD. Also, there are Roku channels that Playon doesn't have. That is why I like using them as a combonation.
  8. Ram22

Ram22 New Member

I have generally changed my wire support with it. I was so doubtful when I first requested, but since I have broadband online that is a must for my way of life, getting a Roku was the way to go to prevent a wire invoice. So much less expensive than wire.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012